Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lucky 13 Lacquer: Softening the Bad Things

Hi everyone and happy Thursday!  Today I have a really special polish that holds a deep meaning to me.  It might sound dumb to say that a polish is meaningful but as soon as I found out about the meaning behind this polish, I knew I needed to have it.  To start off, this polish was inspired by Van Gogh's iconic sunflower painting and you can see a re-creation of Van Gogh's handwriting on the numbering of the bottles.  A limited number were released recently, 16 full sized bottles and 10 mini bottles, and with my husband's help, I was able to score one.  Also, $1 from each sale was donated to the National Alliance on Mental Illness

This polish represents what the title suggests, Softening the Bad Things.  A fellow blogger, Mishka of Accio Lacquer put it better than I ever could.  You can read her post here.  The polish represents the battle with mental illness that many people face on a daily basis.  Many people hide it because of the stigma that our society has about it.  If I were brave like Mishka, I would share my personal journey with you, just as she has.  She has far more bravery than I do.  While I am not willing to share my story just yet, I will share this beautiful lacquer with you and know that I am not alone in my life or in the polish community.


This polish consists of an aqua blue base with gold hexagon glitters and dark maroon microglitters.  I used three coats for my swatches with two layers of topcoat to even everything out.  There was a little bit of curling to some of the glitters but topcoat smoothed everything out.






I love this polish not only for the combination and how it looks, but also the meaning behind it.  While this polish is not available currently, I do believe it will be re-released sometime in the future (at least that's what I thought!).  You can keep up with updates on the Lucky 13 Lacquer Facebook page.  I will admit that I am disappointed in myself for not being as open, maybe one day I will have the confidence to do so.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful polish, and for a great cause. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amzing! Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty polish! And I hope one day you share your stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very unique and beautiful polish, it makes it even more amazing that part of the proceeds go to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh what a stunning polish! The soft blue and gold is a beautiful combination. And it's made even more special by the cause it represents. <3

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely polish and a lovely story behind it. It's really too bad there is such a stigma about mental illness. thank you for sharing :)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! Combining Doctor Who + Van Gogh for a great cause? Yes please, more of this kind of stuff. Your post inspired me to go and purchase the polish for myself. It is available, and I cannot wait to receive it! :)

    ReplyDelete